Being outside is great for your health, but there’s a lot you can do to make your indoors healthier too!
A healthy home is a happy home
When we think about our health, the natural tendency is to focus on good nutrition and exercise, and perhaps we spend less time focusing on how our environment can affect our wellbeing. If you want to clean up your house or apartment to make it a safer environment, check out these 8 suggestions to make your home more healthy.
8 healthy home hacks
The home is where we spend a great deal of time, so it’s important we find ways to make our home environment more healthy, too. This may mean cleaning up more often or more thoroughly, or removing harmful chemicals, but paying attention to our living environment can have a positive affect not only on our longterm health, it can even have a positive effect on how good we feel right now!
If you want to clean up your house or apartment and make it a safer environment, Check out these 8 ways to make your home more healthy.
1. Remove as much dust as possible: dust causes asthma and allergies, and it’s best to rid your house of it as thoroughly as you can. Vacuum often and change the bedding regularly.
2. Steer clear of chemical products: harsh chemicals are bad for your lungs and pollute the air indoors. There are less harsh products available if you do a little research. Tradional cleaning agents like spirit vinegar and bicarbonate of soda do a fantastic job of cleaning and are harmless to humans and the environment.
3. Get an aquarium: the presence of an aquarium can lower heart rates and blood pressure and can make you more content, as watching the swimming fish relaxes people. There is a small amount of maintenance and some learning to do about keeping your fish happy and healthy, but that is part of the pleasure of keeping fish.
4. Keep your food in glass: Plastic is made with dangerous chemicals. After time, these chemicals can be released into your food. Glass storage jars can be used infinitely, and be cleaned and recycled.
Four more healthy home hacks
5. Make the bed every morning: studies have shown you have 19% better chance of sleeping well if you made your bed in the morning.
6. Paint the walls: Colours affect your moods. By choosing colours that abound in nature you will find a more relaxing feel to your living space.
7. Bring in nature: Bring the outdoors in. Plants filter the air around them and they can remove up to 87% of indoor air pollution. They look nice, too! By having a small part of the outdoors inside your home, you keep a connection with nature.
8. Dim the lights and screens: Bright lighting and the glare from screens can stop your body making melatonin, which is the hormone that regulates your sleep. The light your eyes is taking in is literally confusing your body clock into thinking it’s a different time of day. Dim the lights and put devices away before you intend tot goo toto bed, and allow your body to adjust to its night mode.
We appreciate that everyone’s living space and circumstances are different, and there will be certain aspects beyond your control, nevertheless you can still make a few easy adjustments that can help improve the health of your home.
If you have any of your own hints, hacks or tips for a healthier home, please share them with us in the comments below.
25 More Ways to Create a Green and Healthy Home
Experts say that simple changes in your everyday life are all it takes to make your home a healthier, safer, greener place to be. But don't forget that human beings are creatures of habit, and change takes time. Begin with small steps. For example, make a commitment to change just one habit every month. Here are a few more ideas to create a greener, healthier home.