Vinyl stickers are harmful to the environment — but there is now an environmentally friendly alternative made from thin sheets of sustainable wood.
Wood stickers: why one company think we should stick with wood
Vinyl stickers are harmful to the environment as they take hundreds of years to break down and are toxic to produce. There is now a much better looking and environmentally friendly alternative. Stickers made from thin sheets of certified sustainable wood. They are water resistant and dishwasher safe. Stick to anything, 100% biodegradable, as are the bags they come in. Some are even designed especially by great artists. Of course they are shipped in boxes made from 100% recycled materials.
Wood Stickers are Eco-Friendly!
You might be thinking that making a sticker out of wood isn’t the greenest thing to do. Well, the makers of WOOD STICKERS over at Dust City Designs, in Denver, Colorado, they say they are deeply committed to the health of the planet — as it’s the only one we’ve got!
‘By this point, you’ve probably noticed a wood theme going on over at Dust City. “But what about all those poor trees???” Don’t fret! All of our Wood Stickers™ are sustainably sourced and certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.’
‘The Forest Stewardship Council’s (FSC) mission is to promote environmentally sound, socially beneficial and economically prosperous management of the world’s forests. Here at Dust City Designs we are committed to creating a sustainable future, both with our products as well as our business practices. We kinda got a thing for wood so we do everything we can to make sure there’s plenty of it for years to come.’
From their website, here are some of the many ways they say they strive to reduce their impact on the environment:
- All our wood is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council as sustainably grown and harvested.
- Our product packaging is made from 100% recycled paper, and the cellophane bags start to boidegrade in as little as two weeks after disposal.
- We also pack our shipments in cardboard boxes made from 100% recycled paper.
- We can make a lot of stickers out of a small amount of wood – the amount of wood in one 8 foot 2×4 would create 28,000 wood stickers!
- Our production methods are far more environmentally friendly than a vinyl sticker, which produces a ton of pollution and is made of toxic substances like chlorine, dioxins, phthalates and lead.
- Vinyl stickers will never decompose. They just break into smaller bits of plastic that eventually end up in our oceans and severely disrupt the marine ecosystem. Wood is an organic material that will fully decompose in a landfill.
Below: a small selection of some of the many designs currently available in sustainably sourced maple or cherry, and etched with a laser.
Dust City Wood Stickers
To find out more about WOOD STICKERS, Dust City company practices, contact, wholesale, or to see the full range of stickers and products visit their website.
35+ Alternatives to Plastic Items in Your Home
Are you ready for a long list of alternatives to plastic you commonly use and might think you can't live without? There are very few things you can't swap out! Comb through this list for the plastic you think you can't get rid of and find a better alternative (and be sure to reuse and recycle the plastic you end up with).