Judging from what most media showed us, 2017 was nothing but misery. Here’s proof that they’re wrong.
12 good reasons to be optimistic as we enter the new year
It’s important to see this. Why? Because fear-mongering news just makes us numb and depressed. Fear feeds hate, whilst progress motivates. Here are a dozen good reasons to look on the Bright side as we enter 2018.
Choose the news you peruse
- Cancer deaths have dropped by 25% in the US since 1991, saving more than 2 million lives. Breast cancer deaths have fallen by 39%
- The UK announced a 20% fall of dementia over the past two decades, meaning 40,000 fewer people are being affected every year
- Thanks to better access to clean water and sanitation, the number of children around the world who are dying from diarrhoea has fallen 33% since 2005
- US, Russia, China and the EU reached a deal to make the Arctic off-limits to commercial fishers for the next 16 years
- Kenya announced a ban on plastic bags and Chile will ban plastic in its coastal cities. See
- The cost of solar and wind plummeted by more than 25% in 2017, shifting the global clean energy industry on its axis
- Iceland became the first country in the world to make equal pay compulsory by law
- Women now occupy 23% of parliamentary seats around the world, up from 12% in 1997
- Australia became the 26th country to legalise same sex marriage
- Taiwan became the first Asian country to ban the eating of cats and dogs
- Germany banned fur farming, following similar decisions by Japan and Croatia
- China agreed to ban the domestic ivory trade
2018: may it be your best year yet!
There can be no denying we have made tremendous progress in many areas, but there is still so much more to do. Let’s direct our energy at takng care of our planet!
Remember… fear feeds hate whilst progress motivates! Please share this article if you agree the world needs more positive stories.
We would also like to send a Big BrightVibes Thank You to our friends over at FUTURE CRUNCH for their inspirational and amazing overview of "99 Positive News Items on Why 2017 was a Good Year!" each with links directly to the original source.
We at BrightVibes aren’t here to question the motives of the mainstream media or their doom and gloom, but we are here to point you in the direction of positive, uplifting news stories from around the world, and to remind you that the default setting of our species is good and decent and wholesome, especially when we all pull together in the same direction.
Don’t be disheartened. Choose the news you use. Look for the good in the world and you will find it…. and while you’re looking, be the good you’re looking for.
From all of us at BrightVibes, may we wish you a wonder-filled, inspirational, optimistic, positive and uplifting 2018! Happy New Year! May it be your best year yet!
World-Newspapers.com List of Alternative News Sources
If we allow the mainstream media to spoonfeed us "news" as they see fit, we might not be getting the whole picture. Vary where you get your information and you may find you get a more balanced and palatable world view. Good news is out there.