Simone Biles broke the all-time record for most medals by any gymnast by winning the balance beam competition at the world championships in Stuttgart on Sunday.
Simone Biles is The Most Decorated Gymnast Ever
Simone Biles just made history again by winning her 24th world championship medal to become the most decorated gymnast, male or female, ever. Her flawless performance on the balance beam earned her a massive 15.066 points on Sunday at the 2019 World Gymnastics Championships in Stuttgart, Germany.
Simone has been dubbed “the most talented gymnast of all-time”
Simone Arianne Biles was born on March 14, 1997, in Columbus, OH. Biles was always jumping around at a young age and was introduced to the sport on a school field trip to Bannon’s Gymnastix at the age of six, where she began spontaneously imitating the gymnasts’ moves, insisting that her parents enroll her at the gym.
Her big grin and engaging personality shine through both in and out of the sport and while she trains close to 35 hours per week, Biles knows how to keep things fun and is known for inventing new skills during training. One move, a complex flip that she incorporated into her floor routine during the 2013 World Championships, is now known as the "Biles". Simone trains at World Champions Centre (WCC), a gym founded and owned by her parents in Spring, TX.
The most decorated gymnast of all time, Biles has the talent and competitive spirit necessary to become one of the best gymnasts in the history of the sport. Receiving high praise from peers and Olympic legends alike, Simone has been dubbed “the most talented gymnast of all-time”.
First woman gymnast to win three consecutive World All-Around titles. Most World Championship gold meals won by a female gymnast in history and most decorated World Championship American gymnast with 14 total medals. First American woman in 23 years to win three all-around national titles.
- Olympic Gold medalist in vault, floor, Individual and Team all-around, Bronze medalist on Beam at 2016 Rio Olympics
- Won the all-around by a 2.1 margin of victory, larger than the margins of victory from 1980-2012 combined
- First woman gymnast to win three consecutive World all-around titles
- Most World Championship gold medals won by a female gymnast in history (10)
- Most decorated World Championship American gymnast with 14 total medals (10 gold, two silver, two bronze)
- First woman to capture four gold medals at a single World Championships (2014 & 2015) since the Soviet Union’s Ludmilla Tourischeva in 1974
- First female African-American all-around world champion
- Undefeated in the all-around competition since 2013
- First American woman in 23 years to win three all-around national titles
- Honored as the 2014 Women’s Sports Foundation’s “Sportswoman of the Year”
- Named Olympic Athlete of the Year by the USOC 2015
- Named Associated Press Female Athlete of the Year 2016
- L’Equipe Championne des championnes monde 2016
- Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Sports ‘Favorite Newcomer’ Award 2016
- BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year 2016
- Glamour’s ‘The Record Breaker’ Woman of the Year 2016
- One of the Most Influential People in the World list by TIME magazine
- Shorty Award recipient for Best in Sports
When she’s not training or competing, Simone likes reading, history, shopping and spending time with friends.
3 Ways to be a Winner (With Pictures)
Whether you want to win at life in general or at one skill in particular, setting realistic goals and breaking them down into concrete steps can help. Being a winner is about achieving goals and cultivating a winner's attitude. If you set goals, track your progress, treat your mind and body well, and surround yourself with positive influences, you'll be a winner.