Bright, positive and uplifting news stories from around the world you probably haven’t heard about but should know.
POSITIVE NEWS STORIES FROM FEBRUARY 2018
In January, to herald in the New Year, we brought you a selection of positive and uplifting new stories from around the world — but the world hasn’t stopped producing more good news for us to bring to you, so here is a selection of 10 of our favourite BrightVibes stories from last month.
10 great news stories: February 2018
2. Following the legalisation of medical marijuana in US states that border Mexico, robberies have declined by 19%, murders by 10%, and drug-related homicides by 41%.
3. Plastic bans go into effect this month in Montreal, Vanuatu & the United Kingdom. Iceland has become the 1st supermarket to say it will eliminate plastic on its own-brand products within 5 years, and the EU says it will make all packaging reusable or recyclable by 2030.
4. China brought a staggering 12.89 million people out of poverty in 2017, dropping the rate to 3.1%. Some 70 million rural people have climbed out of poverty since 2012.
5. The UK is creating a forest of 50 million trees between Liverpool and Hull, and China will plant 6.66 million hectares of new forests this year, an area the size of Ireland.
10 great news stories: February 2018 Continued
6. In 2017, the EU generated more clean energy than coal for the first time. Five years ago, coal still generated twice as much energy as renewables.
7. In a first of its kind project, scientists in China have grown new earsfor five children with ear defects. They used a combination of 3D printing and cultured cells.
8. Russians are drinking and smoking less than at any point since the fall of the Soviet Union, with tobacco use down by a fifth since 2009, and alcohol by 20% since 2012.
9. Cancer researchers at Stanford have made a major breakthrough with the development of a tiny injection into a single tumor that eliminates cancer all over the body.
10. Chile has managed to quadruple its clean energy sources since 2013, resulting in a 75% drop in the average cost of electricity.
SHARE IF YOU AGREE WE NEED TO HEAR GOOD NEWS MORE OFTEN
15 Uplifting Sites Focused on Positive Stories and Ideas for Good
There is no shortage of news these days, every place we turn. Much of it is less-than-positive. Looking for something different? A little more thoughtful, light-hearted, happy, fun, and inspirational? BrightVibes is not alone, so here are a few great choices.