You are using an outdated browser

Internet Explorer is not supported by this site and Microsfot has stopped releasing updates, therefore you may encounter issues whilst visiting this site and we strongly recommend that you upgrade your browser for modern web functionality, a better user experience and improved security.

Upgrade my browser

Meet the Photographer and 15 kids who declared an Infinity War on bullying

Photographer Josh Rossi spent three months working on a photo project with 15 children who have been severely bullied, and turned them into The “Avengers of Bullying”.

Bullying Victims Turned Into Avengers For Empowering Photoshoot

After recently seeing the trailer for the new Avenger’s movie, Photographer Josh Rossi and his wife Roxana were inspired to bring bullied children together to provide a platform where their voices could be heard. In the movie, the bully of the universe, Thanos, comes to take over the world, but the Avengers unite to destroy him. Similar to bullying — if we unite against it, we can stop it.

The Avengers of Bullying — Josh Rossi Thanks to Vero for making this possible - Photographer and digital artist: Josh Rossi - Costumes: Julie Whiteley - Body Makeup: Versa Artistry - MUA: Eve Keener Source: Facebook/BrightVibes

The Avengers of Bullying: from the studio that brought you The Justice League Kids

In the latest Marvel movie, Avengers: Infinity War, the bully of the universe, Thanos, comes to take over the world, but the Avengers unite to destroy him. Each Avenger has unique differences and strengths ranging from green and purple skin to being able to stop time. 

Without each superhero’s individual strength and power, their efforts to defeat Thanos will be unsuccessful. The same with bullying — if we unite against it, we can stop it.

After recently finishing the Justice League Kids series, photographer Josh Rossi and his wife Roxana were contacted by the social media app Vero who offered to help them with any future projects they had. The Rossis told them about the bully project and they were in! 

One day as as Rossi was thinking about the project, he came across a video of Jackson Bezzant’s dad. 

Jackson was born with facial deformities and had been called ‘monster’ and ‘freak’ at school because of them. Jackson’s dad made a video explaining his sons situation and in a way was reaching out for help. 

‘As I was watching, I felt as though he were speaking directly to me. I immediately messaged him on social media and told him I was doing a new project on bullying and wanted his son to be part of it.’ — Rossi writes in the Fulltime Photographer

In reality I hadn’t set anything up yet and the project was all just in my head. The video was so powerful, however, that it sparked a fire in me to help in whatever way I could. Jackson Bezzant would soon become the Captain America of this amazing group of kids.’ 

To see the full amazing gallery and read the individual stories of bullying each of these superheroes endured, you can find their bios in this blog post by Rossi.

Source: FulltimePhotographer

Jackson Bezzant was born with facial deformities and had been called 'monster' and 'freak' at school because of them. Little did the bullies know, Jackson would soon become the Captain America of this amazing group of kids.
Jackson Bezzant is Captain America Jackson Bezzant was born with facial deformities and had been called ‘monster’ and ‘freak’ at school because of them. Little did the bullies know, Jackson would soon become the Captain America of this amazing group of kids. Source: JoshRossi/FulltimePhotographer
She spent almost 3 months full time to get them done by the time of the shoot
The amazing costumes were designed and created by Julie Whiteley She spent almost 3 months full time to get them done by the time of the shoot Source: JoshRossi/FulltimePhotographer

11 sobering stats on bullying in America

DoSomething.org is a global movement of 6 million young people making positive change, online and off. Here are 11 sobering statistics they collected;

• Over 3.2 million students are victims of bullying each year.
  • Approximately 160,000 teens skip school every day because of bullying.
  • 17% of American students report being bullied 2 to 3 times a month or more within a school semester. Take a stand in your community by hosting a Bullying Policy Makeover event customizing your school’s anti-bullying policy.
  • 1 in 4 teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and will only intervene 4% of the time.
  • By age 14 less than 30% of boys and 40% of girls will talk to their peers about bullying.
  • Over 67% of students believe that schools respond poorly to bullying, with a high percentage of students believing that adult help is infrequent and ineffective.
  • 71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
  • 90% of 4th through 8th graders report being victims of bullying.
  • 1 in 10 students drop out of school because of repeated bullying.
  • As boys age they are less and less likely to feel sympathy for victims of bullying. In fact they are more likely to add to the problem than solve it.
  • Physical bullying increases in elementary school, peaks in middle school and declines in high school. Verbal abuse, on the other hand, remains constant.
 To find out more about the organisation and to see sources for the above statements, click HERE 

Once word spread about the project, the Rossis were surprised to gain support from Jaxon Bieber! Jaxon, brother of Justin, wanted to make a stand against bullying in a powerful way so he and his dad, Jeremy, flew out to be part of the project.
Jaxon Bieber as the protector of the 9 realms of bullying! Once word spread about the project, the Rossis were surprised to gain support from Jaxon Bieber! Jaxon, brother of Justin, wanted to make a stand against bullying in a powerful way so he and his dad, Jeremy, flew out to be part of the project. Source: JoshRossi/FulltimePhotographer
Make an Impact

4 Ways to Stop Bullying (With Pictures)

Bullying can take many forms, but all forms of bullying cause harm. Even if there is no physical contact between a bully and their target, people who are bullied may carry the emotional damage of what they experienced for the rest of their lives. That is why it is important to put a stop to bullying. If you are being bullied, then there are things you can do to deal with the bully. If you witness bullying, then there are things you can do to stand up for someone else. You can also work to raise awareness among your peers and learn about the different ways that you can ask for help.