You are using an outdated browser

Internet Explorer is not supported by this site and Microsfot has stopped releasing updates, therefore you may encounter issues whilst visiting this site and we strongly recommend that you upgrade your browser for modern web functionality, a better user experience and improved security.

Upgrade my browser

Philippines passes law requiring students to plant 10 trees if they want to graduate

Source: agreaph.com

New legislation passed by the Philippine House of Representatives formalises existing tradition and could result in 175 million new trees each year if approved by Senate.

Philippine Govt. passes ‘Graduation Legacy for the Environment Act’

Dubbed the "Graduation Legacy for the Environment Act," House Bill 8728 aims to require all graduating elementary, high school, and college students to plant at least 10 trees as a prerequisite for graduation. The bill provides that said trees should be planted in any of the following areas: forest lands, mangrove and protected areas, ancestral domains, civil and military reservations, urban areas under the greening plan of the local government units, inactive and abandoned mine sites, and other suitable lands.

Smart way to plant 175 million trees every year: get young people to do it for school

House Bill 8728, or the "Graduation Legacy for the Environment Act," is principally authored by MAGDALO Party-list Rep. Gary Alejano and Cavite 2nd District Representative Strike Revilla.

"With over 12 million students graduating from elementary and nearly five million students graduating from high school and almost 500,000 graduating from college each year, this initiative, if properly implemented, will ensure that at least 175 million new trees would be planted each year. In the course of one generation, no less than 525 billion can be planted under this initiative," Alejano explained in the bill’s explanatory note. 

"Even with a survival rate of only 10 percent, this would mean an additional 525 million trees would be available for the youth to enjoy, when they assume the mantle of leadership in the future."

The trees will be planted in forest lands, mangrove and protected areas, ancestral domains, civil and military reservations, urban areas under the greening plan of the local government units, inactive and abandoned mine sites, and other suitable lands. These planted trees must be appropriate to the location, climate and topography of the area, and there will be a preference for the planting of indigenous tree species.

Under the bill, the Department of Education and the Commission on Higher Education will be the implementing bodies, in partnership with the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources (DENR), Department of Agriculture, Department of Agrarian Reform, and the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples and other government agencies.

These agencies will be responsible for nursery establishment, seedling production and site preparation, monitoring and evaluation, and technical support and extension services. They must also provide security, transportation, fire protection amenities, and medical support.

The bill has no counterpart in the Senate. To read the bill in full click HERE.

Source: CNN-Philippines

Across those islands, deforestation has been a primary environmental issue. Widespread development and agriculture have led to a significant drop in forested areas across the Philippines. Through the 20th century, forested area in the Philippines decreased from 70% to 20%. It is estimated that 24.2 million acres of forests were cut down from 1934 to 1988, primarily from logging.
The Philippines consists of 7,641 islands in Southeast Asia Across those islands, deforestation has been a primary environmental issue. Widespread development and agriculture have led to a significant drop in forested areas across the Philippines. Through the 20th century, forested area in the Philippines decreased from 70% to 20%. It is estimated that 24.2 million acres of forests were cut down from 1934 to 1988, primarily from logging. Source: Unsplash/NoahBuscher
Make an Impact

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE — ONE TREE AT A TIME, with Onetreeplanted.org

You can help us reforest the planet. Yes, you! One Tree Planted is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organisation. As an environmental charity, we're on a mission to make it simple for anyone to help the environment by planting trees! One dollar. One tree. Every individual contribution makes an impact. Here are a few ways you can help.