Think you’re powerless about plastic pollution? Wrong! Here are 10 everyday plastic items you can quit today and help the environment.
If you don’t think it’s possible to live without plastic — or at least, less of it — think again!
Here at Bright Vibes we are passionate about the environment, and we’re keen to promote anything that can help improve the world we live in for ourselves and for future generations. Here are 10 suggestions of everyday plastic items we can all easily live without, and by quitting them we are doing our bit to reduce demand and production, further reducing the risk of more plastic finding its way into our oceans and foodchain.
Here are 10 suggestions of bits of plastic you can quit today
1. Plastic shopping bags: carry a reusable bag when you go shopping
2. Straws: simply sip your drink
3. Scrubs contain micro plastics: use natural products like oats or salt
4. Plastic toothbrushes: use a bamboo toothbrush
5. Bottled water: drink from the tap or take reusable bottle with you
6. Coffee capsules: avoid using difficult to recycle coffee capsules. Coffee from the percolator tastes great
7. Razors: stop using disposable razors. Use a lifetime razor, or just let it grow
8. Takeaway coffee cups: buy a reusable cup instead
9. Plastic cutlery: embrace reusable cutlery
10. Instead of buying liquid shower gel and soap: use soap bars
Couldn’t be simpler!
What can you do right now to make a real difference? take the 4rs pledge!
- REFUSE disposable plastic whenever and wherever possible. Choose items that are not packaged in plastic, and carry your own bags, containers and utensils. Say "No straw, please."
- REUSE durable, non-toxic straws, utensils, take-out containers, bottles, bags, and other everyday items. Choose glass, paper, stainless steel, wood, ceramic and bamboo over plastic.
- REDUCE your plastic footprint. Cut down on your consumption of goods that contain excessive plastic packaging and parts. If it will leave behind plastic trash, don’t buy it.
- RECYCLE what you can’t refuse, reduce or reuse. Pay attention to the entire life cycle of items you bring into your life, from source to manufacturing to distribution to disposal.
Take the 4Rs Pledge over at the Plastic Pollution Coalition website, and find out more about how you can help.
Check out below, earlier Bright Vibes articles on how to comabt the menace of plastic pollution. Together we WILL make a difference!
9 more ways you can combat the menace of plastic pollution
From the Pacific islands to the mountains of Tibet, plastic trash is piling up, but scientists are working on solutions and you can help.