You are using an outdated browser

Internet Explorer is not supported by this site and Microsfot has stopped releasing updates, therefore you may encounter issues whilst visiting this site and we strongly recommend that you upgrade your browser for modern web functionality, a better user experience and improved security.

Upgrade my browser

Grandson Invents Award-Winning Water Candy ‘Jelly Drops’ To Help Grandma With Dementia

5 min read

Better Society

Pioneering Alzheimer’s candy ‘Jelly Drops’ launches in the US, after originally being invented in the UK by a 24-year-old student to help his grandma stay hydrated.

Jelly drops are an irresistible candy to help Boost water intake

Jelly Drops are an innovative, award-winning candy designed to support hydration in those who struggle to consume enough water. Popular with people with Alzheimer’s, seniors and others who struggle to stay hydrated, they’re made with 95% water, contain added electrolytes and are sugar-free. What’s more, they are refreshing and deliciously fruity.

Inventor’s grandma had dementia and didn’t drink enough, so the devoted grandson invented these brilliant jelly drops.

Brilliant jelly drops prevent dehydration in people with dementia. Inventor’s grandma had dementia and didn’t drink enough, so the devoted grandson invented these brilliant jelly drops. Source: JellyDrops.com

Jelly Drops have empowered countless people to top up their water intake independently

Inventor Lewis Hornby was inspired to create water candy after his grandma Pat, who had dementia, was rushed to hospital with severe dehydration. Following a month in her care home and 18 months of research and development, they were first launched in the UK in 2020, and after an outpouring of demand, are now available in the US from April 26th 2022.

With an eye-catching colourful design and a teardrop shape that makes them easy to handle, the bite-sized candy has a solid, yet smooth, texture that encourages independent hydration in those who may not realise they’re thirsty or otherwise would require assistance to drink.

Having won numerous awards for their incredible contribution to the dementia and senior community, Jelly Drops have empowered countless people to top up their water intake independently, while promoting positive interactions between carers, families and residents.

With an eye-catching colorful design and a teardrop shape that is easy to handle, the bite-sized candy has a solid, yet smooth texture.

Jelly drops are sweets that are 95% water, sugar free and designed to help people support their hydration. With an eye-catching colorful design and a teardrop shape that is easy to handle, the bite-sized candy has a solid, yet smooth texture. Source: JellyDrops.com

They may not recognise cups or have the dexterity to use them. But Hornby realised many of the residents enjoyed eating sweets, and that's what gave him the idea to create a solid form of hydration in the form of a treat.
The candies encourage independent hydration in those who may not realise they’re thirsty or otherwise would require assistance to drink. They may not recognise cups or have the dexterity to use them. But Hornby realised many of the residents enjoyed eating sweets, and that’s what gave him the idea to create a solid form of hydration in the form of a treat. Source: JellyDrops.com

About founder Lewis Hornby

Lewis Hornby is an award-winning 27-year-old inventor and designer, driven by a passion for social good. While studying Innovation Design Engineering at Imperial College London and the Royal College of Arts, he worked on a range of social impact projects, including co-founding clean air tech company Pluvo in 2017.

His focus was diverted in 2018, when his grandma, who had dementia, was hospitalised with dehydration. The then 24-year-old student spent a month in her care home to find a solution to her lack of water intake, resulting in the invention of the very first Jelly Drops.

With the backing of the Alzheimer Society’s Innovation Accelerator Programme, a range of prestigious awards and widespread global attention, Lewis spent 18 months researching and developing the product, before making Jelly Drops available to the public in the UK in 2020.

Lewis continues to spread awareness of the risks of dehydration in the elderly and those with dementia, having told his grandma’s story on a range of global platforms including the BBC News, Sky News and TED X stage.

Lewis holds Masters Degrees from University of Bristol, the Royal College of Arts and Imperial College London. He is the recipient of a wide range of awards, including the Dementia Care Innovation Award, the Snowdon Award for Disability and the Meaning-Centred Design Award. He currently leads the continued research and development of Jelly Drops as Chief Product Officer.

“They are just sweets that anyone can enjoy.”

“I didn’t want them to be sort of overly medicalised or have a stigma associated with them, really.” says Hornby. “They are just sweets that anyone can enjoy.” Source: JellyDrops.com

Jelly drops generated positive interactions between carers, families and residents.
Empowering countless people to top up their water intake independently. Jelly drops generated positive interactions between carers, families and residents. Source: JellyDrops.com

The ingredients and nutritional values of jelly drops

Ingredients:

Water (95%), Maltodextrin, Gelling Agents (Gellan Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Acacia Gum, Agar), Dextrin, Electrolytes (Sodium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride), Natural Flavourings, Colours (Curcumin, Paprika Extract, Concentrated Carrot Extract, Copper Chlorophyllin), Spirulina Extract, Flavour Enhancers (Lactic Acid, Malic Acid, Citric Acid), Sweetener (Sucralose), Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate).

Nutritional values per 100g (312g in each tray):
Energy: 54kJ/13kcal
Fat: 0.0g
of which saturates: 0.0g
Carbohydrates: 3.7g
of which sugars: 0.0g 
Fibre: 1.2g
Protein: 0.0g
Salt: 0.17g

These rehydration drops remind us of Ooho, the edible drink-pods handed out at the 2019 London Maration, made from revolutionary material derived from one of nature’s most renewable resource, brown seaweed. The substance biodegrades naturally in 4 to 6 weeks, or you can simply eat it. It contains no micro-plastics. Read more here.

It began when then 24-year-old student Lewis spent a month in his grandma’s care home to find a solution to her lack of water intake, resulting in the invention of the very first Jelly Drops.

Lewis continues to spread awareness of the risks of dehydration in the elderly and those with dementia. It began when then 24-year-old student Lewis spent a month in his grandma’s care home to find a solution to her lack of water intake, resulting in the invention of the very first Jelly Drops. Source: JellyDrops.com

“It’s been really fantastic since launch to see so many people enjoy them as much as grandma. And that we’re very fortunate to have a lot of people in the community that share their stories with us.”

They were first launched in the UK in 2020, now also available in the US. “It’s been really fantastic since launch to see so many people enjoy them as much as grandma. And that we’re very fortunate to have a lot of people in the community that share their stories with us.” Source: JellyDrops.com

Only natural flavours and non-artificial colours! With a fantastic solid, but smooth, texture - these sweets do not have a liquid centre - encouraging independent hydration for all, through a delicious snack.

Jelly Drops come in six tasty flavours: strawberry, raspberry, blackcurrant, orange, lime and lemon. Only natural flavours and non-artificial colours! With a fantastic solid, but smooth, texture – these sweets do not have a liquid centre – encouraging independent hydration for all, through a delicious snack. Source: JellyDrops.com

Jelly drops now available in the USA

“Jelly Drops were born from trying to help my Grandma, who had dementia, stay hydrated. I could never have imagined what started with her, would one day be empowering people around the world. After seeing them help so many in the UK, I am overjoyed that people in the US can now also benefit from an easier way to stay hydrated, while having more joyful moments with loved-ones.”

– Lewis Hornby, Inventor (Jelly Drops)

“Jelly Drops was one of the first innovations to be accepted into our Accelerator Programme, and we’ve been thrilled to support its journey to a widely-available product which is making a real difference to people with dementia. Original products and designs like Jelly Drops are key to helping overcome the everyday challenges faced by people with dementia, challenges that have been further amplified by the pandemic.”

– Colin Capper, Head of Research Development (Alzheimer’s Society)

From the inability to hold cups to not equating thirst with drinking, it is often hard to ensure loved-ones do not become dehydrated. They’re 95% water, sugar free and vegan with added electrolytes.

Tackling a major dementia struggle. From the inability to hold cups to not equating thirst with drinking, it is often hard to ensure loved-ones do not become dehydrated. They’re 95% water, sugar free and vegan with added electrolytes. Source: JellyDrops.com

Lewis' grandma had dementia and didn’t drink enough. So her grandson invented these brilliant Jelly Drops. Source: Facebook/BrightVibes
Make an Impact

BUY JELLY DROPS (USA)

Jelly Drops are available in two different styles depending on your needs - our original tray and our new compact snackpots.